I think that there are many benefits for both teachers and students using an e-portfolio. Here are a few benefits of using e-portfolios for my future classroom and also for me personally.
- Teachers will understand the important parts of the process fully and see that the process is just as important as the product
- They will develop an appreciation for the challenges that are experiences while writing a reflective statement that identifies learning.
- They will have the opportunity to explore more fully who they are and what they know and can do.
- They will assess strengths and interests which allows for explorations of career options.
- They will refresh their skills in documenting lifelong learning experiences
- They will have a record of personal learning with documents that prove formal and informal learning.
- They will have a tool to showcase skills and knowledge to their employers when seeking a new position or a promotion.
- They will have an organized collection of evidence that can be used as a job search tool if needed.
- They will be able to demonstrate professional growth and show a commitment to continued learning.
Students in the classroom will benefit from having an e-portfolio
- Students will discover a valuable exercise in self-assessmnet throught the reflection process.
- Their self-esteem and self confidence will be enhanced as they take control of their learning.
- They may develop their own goals for learning.
- They will learn and begin to practice a process that will be used in life long and life wide learning pursuits.
- They will have a tool for personal development
- They will have a personal learning record
- They recieve credit towards a course completion or towards graduation.